Local Resources Directory
Finding a community of support is a key to homeschooling success, so we’ve organized this Local Resources Directory. Everything you want to know for educational and social connections.
Co-ops, Resource Centers and Support Groups
- HERO Irmo Co-op: Home Education Resource Organization offers social and educational activities in Irmo; inclusive/non-religious
- Akoma Homeschoolers: Support group created to help black/african/african ancestral homeschooling families connect with each other in the Carolina Region.
- Christian Home Educators of Camden: Informal homeschool support group in the greater Camden, SC area.
- HERALD 5: a support group for Christian homeschooling families of the Midlands of South Carolina.
- SHIELD: Supporting Home Instruction Encompassing Lexington District offers support, encouragement, resources and activities for Christian families.
- Arrows Academy: Two day per week program that partners with families to give their children instruction in the main content areas with qualified teachers and excellent curriculum from a Christian perspective.
- Chapin Academy: Offers classes two days a week with qualified, Christian instructors.
- Dutch Fork Resource Center: Serving the high school needs of homeschooling students throughout the Chapin/Irmo area and beyond.
- Excelsior Academy: Academy classes, ages 4-13, develop an effective Christian worldview as we study literature, history, and the fine arts based on various time periods. High School offerings are college-preparatory classes with honors options.
- Homeschool Collaborators: Faith-based co-op located off Dutch Fork Road.
- Lexington Homeschool Co-op: A Christian Homeschool Group offering classes taught by the parents of children who attend co-op, rather than paid teachers.
- Midlands Resource Center: Offers middle school preparatory classes and the upper level mathematics, science, foreign language, and/or English courses required to graduate from high school and to prepare their child for college with a Christian perspective.
- Principia Center: Provides weekly instruction for students in grades 7-12, from a Christian perspective.
- Royal Scholars Co-op: offers a unique educational experience for homeschool Families with an Afro-Centered focus.
- Trinity Homeschool Academy: offers academic resource center classes, parent-led co-operative learning and social connections.
Educational Destinations and Other Resources
- The State Museum: Free daily admission with proof of homeschooling; once a month Homeschool Day, pre-registration required.
- Confederate Relic Room: Free once a month Homeschool Friday, pre-registraiton required.
- Historic Columbia: Once a month Homeschool Day, pre-registration/pre-payment required.
- Virtual SC: A free state-sponsored ala carte supplemental online program serving students currently attending public, private and home schools in grades 7-12
- SC Discus: South Carolina’s Virtual Library is the “information place” for all South Carolinians. Provides free access to an electronic library that’s available 24/7. Accessible from your county library’s website or via Discus with username/password. READ MORE HERE.
- Ed’s Editions: Used bookseller locally owned by homeschooler, has large selection of homeschool materials.
Educational Consultants and Local Bloggers:
- Richland County Library: Education Studio: A carefully-curated collection of books and materials that support learning through a multisensory approach. The specially-designed studio space provides quiet seating for homeschoolers, tutors and teachers to prepare and conduct lessons. Reading specialists offer a personalized consultation.
- Discovery Therapies: Learning Development center that goes beyond tutoring by addressing the underlying issues that cause students to struggle.
- Homeschooling the Special Needs Child: Susan Blackwell. Consultation, Curriculum counseling, testing services especially for homeschoolers.
- Dyslexia Reading Center: Offers services and resources for students who struggle with reading and those who teach them.
- The Cultivating Mom: Tomekia Latoya offers homeschool coaching.
- Kiyana Thomas: Faith, Family, Homeschooling. Offers lesson planning and homeschool consultation.
- Breakthrough Homeschooling: Pat Fenner offers high school consultation for small groups or individuals.
Submit Your Club Idea
Cola City can help you set up your club or activity idea. Start by submitting your idea here. Then, we’ll contact you to get the details finalized.